Friday 16 August 2013

Park life

On our recent trip up north, revisiting places from my youth with my long suffering Mum, we went for the morning to Calderstones Park in Liverpool. Now in my youth, Calderstones had lovely old greenhouses and a Japanese Garden to visit, but the greenhouses have now been removed and replaced with a sensory garden. Having good memories of how it used to be, I was poised to be disapproving, but I have to say the whole thing was absolutely lovely with some great herbacious borders and some gorgeous planting combinations. 
Here's edited highlights of what was there:


Beautiful Perovskia (Russian Sage) and towering Tiger Lilies 


Feathery grasses (probably a Stipa but I may be wrong), Hosters and Lavenders.


Dark Ophiopogon, red Heuchera and silvery Artemesia.


Feathery grasses and red tipped grass (Imperata cylindrica Rubra)


My favourite flowers, Astrantia and Echinacea


The Japanese Garden, a peaceful retreat.

Fantastic deep herbacious borders with globes of blue Echinops, misty yellow Solidago (Golden Rod), Orangey Ligularia, silvery Sedum, and pinky Japanese Anenome.

 There was lots of wonderful mid-summer colour, and I don't know about you, but this time of year can be a bit of a colour-lull in my garden, so now I have lots of inspiration for next year. 

Ligularia, Sedum, more Heuchera, white Echinacea and some feathery grasses are definitely on my list for next year! 

(Mind you, my list is reaching gigantic proportions - I must clear some space soon, or maybe get an allotment?!)

The wildlife was keen too!

Thanks to J + F for the wildlife shots - very talented children!





1 comment:

  1. Some lovely planting combos here which are just itching to be stolen ...

    ReplyDelete