Thursday 28 March 2013

One man's weed is another man's Orchid!

Everyone has their favourite plants, and has some that they can't abide. My least favourite garden plant has to be the bedding Begonia, particularly in acid yellow, but lots of people love them and so they should.  I have always loved Tree Ferns but they are quite an investment and so had remained a distant wish. So I am very pleased with my 'rescue' Tree Fern which now has pride of place at the woodland end of my garden. A neighbouring gardener wanted to clear it from her garden (she was unimpressed by it's performance), and when we expressed our interest offered it to us. Needless to say we jumped at the chance of owning a 4ft Tree Fern for free.

It was, however quite difficult not to look shifty and suspect when dragging said Tree Fern along the road on a tarpaulin from one garden to the other, and even my own children looked at me with concern and asked 'should you be doing that?'. I think we just invented fern rustling!


It isn't shooting yet and will be wrapped in fleece for the next week to protect it from the threatened frosts. I know it doesn't look like much at the moment,  but I'm very pleased with it and have great expectations!

Which started me thinking! At this time of year there are always plants that we decide to get rid of, things you inherited from past owners, things that are not right for their situation, or seeds that did better than we expected and suddenly you have more seedlings than space. So towards the end of April we at Daisy are planning to hold a plant swap. Everyone could bring a plant (or two) and put them into the mix, and hopefully go home having partaken of some tea and cake with something new for their garden. If you're based in or around Truro let us know if you are interested and we'll set a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment