Monday 25 March 2013

Weekend work


I am feeling very righteous about my garden today, because this weekend I started digging it over and doing all the things that I had been putting off because of the wet. I know for most of the country, languishing under a layer of snow, this may sound like the actions of a maniac, I know that many gardeners recommend that you don't dig over ground that is heavy and sticky, but frankly I was getting desperate! Every time I get to the point of thinking it might be dry enough to dig, the heavens open for the next week and I'm back to square one! 

It was time to act, I had an increasing pile of new plants to put in and existing plants that needed moving, and everything is starting to grow. It was hard work - it was easy enough getting the fork into the ground, it was getting the soil off the fork afterwards that was the problem. Two afternoons of digging and obliterating Bittercress (my nightmare weed - it's flowering already!) and things are looking much more under control.

All the new plants are in, and my candidates for moving have been moved and some parts of my garden look almost presentable. The Hellebores and Fritillaries featured here in past posts are in the woodland end of the garden, and some beautiful Ipheons bought  very reasonably at the Truro Farmers Market on Saturday, have gone into the rockery. The Euphorbia that had got too large for it's spot (a common problem) has been moved back in the bed where it will be much more suited, and last but not least my lovely 'rescue' Tree Fern is in and surrounded by Cyclamen, but the rescue story is for one another time.

So now onto the planting of seeds - today I think Cerithe and some Leeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment