Saturday 2 May 2015

New bloomer - Trillium

My 'new bloom' acquisition for April (I know it's May but I just got destracted from posting!)  is something I've never grown before but have admired in various gardens - a Trillium.

It was a present from a very dear old family friend who acquired it from a very illustrious source (Mary I'm impressed by your sneakiness - well done!), so I really hope that it does well. 
I have researched Trilliums and here is the RHS advice

I need to find somewhere sheltered and moist but not waterlogged, and I need to be patient. Apparently they establish slowly, like peonies, but once established are long lived. I've never had great success with Peonies but I'm determined not to take this as an omen.

 It has lovely large, fleshy, slightly blotched leaves and a beautiful white, upright flower, sitting at the centre of three leaves.

At the centre of the three petals are sunny yellow stamens.


 However, something has been having a nibble already - I will have to be vigilant!

Wish me luck!



2 comments:

  1. I do wish you luck, I adore trilliums. I had one that came back two years' running but then this year mysteriously disappeared. I'm not giving up though, I've bought two more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be pleased if it just reappears next year and flowers. This may be the start of one of those gardening obsessions!

      Delete