Tuesday 5 May 2015

Veggie progress!

My Grow-your own year has started!

I know, I'm a bit late and, as usual a bit unplanned (actually I usually have a very good plan, I just don't keep to it!). Seeds have been sown - Runner beans, French beans, Broad beans and peas to be specific, and now I have 8 Peas, 8 Runner beans, 8 Broad beans and 0 French beans. 

(I know the label on the pot makes it look like I bought these from the garden centre but I didn't - honest, it's just a second hand pot and I really truly did grow them all myself!)

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, indeed you read correctly, that's 0 French beans. I planted 10 modules of each and with the exception of the French beans, at least  9 germinated so that I could choose the strongest. So why the shy Frenchies - out of character I would have said, and they've always been very reliable in the past as you can see here.

I shall try another lot, I like a French bean, when I can get them to germinate!

And when they're all hardened off they will be put into my newly spruced veg bed.


Look at that, all dug over and neat and tidy. This is the most relaxed time - all anticipation and no plants to water or get munched by slugs. Nothing to require training/reviving/picking or attempting to bolt! 
Next is the busy time of growing and nurturing and then, with fair weather and a bit of luck, the satisfying time of picking and eating!

Can't wait - YUM!

Right, time to give those French beans another go.


No comments:

Post a Comment