Thursday 25 February 2016

Faded glory

 Usually plants dying is something that I hate (except very occasionally with indestructible weeds or manically spreading plants), but this week I have been enjoying some flowers that are well and truly dead but still amazingly beautiful - I just can't throw them away!


They started out like this - bright, cheery and colourful, but not delicate or subtle.

But now...



...they are faded, twisted and dried and I wish I had time to get out my drawing/painting things, and that I could do them justice. They are so graceful and the colours, although faded are still so vibrant. They even rustle beautifully when you touch them.


None of them have dropped petals or stamens...





...some even retain almost their original shape.


I didn't do anything, they didn't run out of water, or stand anywhere particularly warm/dry/cold.
They just transformed from robust and lively flowers to ethereal and wistful art forms, like dainty individual sculptures.

So there it is, my enthusing about dead flowers - although not so outlandish on reflection. I love dried seed heads in the garden and I'm only just clearing some from last summer, not so very different really.


No comments:

Post a Comment