Wednesday 16 May 2018

Spring walk 2

You may have noticed my slight obsession with Bluebells in my last post but this weekend I got to really satisfy my craving at Enys Gardens at their annual Bluebell Festival.

Enys has an ancient Park Lye full of English Bluebells which according to the gardens own update, was at 80%. 


Sadly it was rainy when we went...


but that didn't spoil the colour...


or the wonder.


Photographs don't really do the Bluebells en-masse justice and I have to admit to boosting the colour of my photographs slightly to try and match the reality.


As far as the eye can see.


In places the Bluebells were mixed with snowy Wild Garlic drifting in-between the blue.


Right! I'm off to heave up the few remaining Spanish Bluebells in my garden so I can start some proper Hyacinthoides non-scripta or English Bluebells.



If you're not sure if you have English or Spanish Bluebells here are some of the differences I know of:


The flowers grow all round the stem on the Spanish and the stems are upright. The flowers grow only on one side on the English, which gives the English the elegant droop.

The bells on the Spanish flare at the bottom and will turn towards the sun. The slimmer bells on the English curl back and always remain 'hanging'

The Spanish Bluebell flower is a paler blue, through to pink and white, the English is a deep blue with a much greater scent.


The Spanish Bluebells are larger, more robust and dominant, and will tolerate more variation of position/light etc. That's why they will take over and push out the English if allowed. 



Thank goodness at Enys they seem to be successfully protecting the purity of their English Bluebells. I'd love to get some established in my garden - they are just so beautiful!


💙


2 comments:

  1. They are glorious aren’t they. We were driving around North Cornwall today and saw some spectacular bluebell displays along the roadsides. It really is the best month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in London and saw photos I'd think 'Yeh, very nice, whatever'. Since moving to Cornwall and seeing them en-masse and growing naturally I'm completely sold. x

      Delete