Thursday 7 May 2020

Bluebells galore!

As a family we have been getting out for longish walks about 3 times a week. We have a garden which, although not large, gives us some outdoor space in which to breathe and sit, so we don't feel the need to go out every day. We're very grateful for this and appreciate how lucky we are - many have no outdoor space of their own and precious little access to the sort of walks we have nearby. That's one of the reasons we don't go out every day - we feel we should leave the walks for those who need them every day, those with children full of energy or no alternative.

I was reminded by Facebook that this week was the Bluebell Festival at Enys Gardens. It was due to start last weekend and would have run all week, showcasing one of the oldest and most extensive Bluebell Lyes in the country. Obviously the festival was cancelled weeks ago, although the Bluebells will still be there, we won't get to see them this year. You can see a previous visit here.

And so I thought I wouldn't get my Bluebell fix this year, apart from the smattering that appear along the roadside in places. Little did I know that there were Bluebell woods all around me!

Pencalenick - 20 mins walk from my house...


drifts of lovely English Bluebells...




and Kenwyn Churchyard 20 minutes walk away in the other direction! 


I love a good Churchyard - the post-teens say that's weird but it isn't. I think they are restful and contemplative spaces, rather than creepy ones. However when the post-teens asked me whether I wanted to be there in the middle of the night I had to concede that I didn't, not because of ghosts and ghouls but more because I'd probably go flying and end up rolling to the bottom of the hill!


 There was a wonderful mix of Bluebells, Wild Garlic, and Three Cornered Leeks.

Not to be mistaken for white Bluebells. Three Cornered Leeks get their name from their stem which is triangular in section so if you're in any doubt check the stem - Bluebells have a round section stem, below is a white Bluebell and I think it's the first I've seen.


And then as if to make a point we went on another walk and came upon even more!
This day was gloomier so the photos don't show the colour quite so well but the blue haze was intense.



So we haven't missed out on the Bluebells at all. Although the Enys display can't be beaten and I did miss the lovely design and craft fair that is held at the festival, I don't feel entirely cheated - and I may have done some online shopping to make up for the lack of craft fair!

 

Greetings from my family to yours from an obelisk set deep in the heart of a newly discovered Bluebell wood!

It's amazing what you discover when you're bored and forced to explore your local area!!

-x💙💙💙x-




No comments:

Post a Comment