Friday 6 December 2013

All I want for Christmas… Plants!

I had planned to do a list of Christmas gifts for garden-y types, but the list became so long and unwieldy that I had to divide it into sections. So this is section 1 and is all plants and flowers. Safe to say that this has been massively edited and is by no means comprehensive but here are a few things I would like!

Sarah Raven's Flowers for a year
Seasonal plants are sent out at intervals to give you cut flowers throughout the year apparently, which sounds like a marvellous idea. Most people could do with help to make sure they have year round colour in their gardens - I know I could!
Sarah Raven also do seed collections and vegetable collections, so whatever you fancy growing there is probably a collection for you!

Sarah Raven's Snowdrops and Vase
This is a nice idea as the snowdrop plants are sent in the green (not dry bulbs) in February, so are much more likely to do well. But if you are giving this as a Christmas present the vase is sent for you to wrap up and put under the tree, so it's a two part present!

The RHS Hellebore Collection
Again, this is me all over, can't ever get enough of Hellebores and this collection of three colours of 'Double Ellen' is just my cup of tea! A good choice for a Christmas present as you shouldn't have to wait long for them to flower. Indeed some of the white ones are out for Christmas hence the common name of Christmas Rose.

Cut flowers every month for a year from Forever Flowering
The idea of a hand tied bouquet arriving on the first of every month is lovely, although as a designer, leaving someone else to choose the flowers is a bit of a struggle. Forever Flowering seem to pick well, not a cheap present though!

This is a very personal one - it is the only shrub that I haven't managed to get for my new bed redesign yet and I have wanted one for ages. I love the gorgeous leaf colour and the fragrant flowers, and it will contrast beautifully with my new Cotinus Purple Haze. Sorry if it seems a random choice - indeed it will look like a very uninspiring stick at this time of year - but I really would like one!

So there are my top five plant based pressies, I can't quite believe that I finally made a decision. Now onto section 2 - Potting Shed, not sure this is going to be any easier!

Do tell us what you are hoping for this Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment