Monday 9 December 2013

All I want for Christmas… Potting Shed!

So onward and upward, section 2 of the Christmas list, hardware and things for the potting shed.

To be honest my potting shed mostly needs a good tidy and clean out and although that would be a great present I haven't found anyone who offers that service. So instead here are a few slightly more available things.

Compost Bins from RHS
I'm not suggesting that you put these in your potting shed, but in a hidden corner of your garden, although these are good looking enough to not need so much hiding. You can't beat good compost and if you can fit in two bins you can rotate them and have a constant supply.

Another quite personal one here - I'm a bit sick of plodding up and down my sloping garden to get stuff so a nice wheelbarrow would be lovely (providing my garden isn't so sloping that it won't stop!) Garden Venture offer the usual hard waring types but also wheelbarrows in pink, lilac, red, blue, green and yellow - who said wheelbarrows had to be boring?
Good luck with the gift wrapping of this one!


Burgon and Ball Seed Tin
Now this is for my potting shed! This tin is divided into sections so you can plan when you need to plant things, and when you need to buy more seeds (not sure that I need help on buying enough seed, but it would be good to have help in remembering to sow them!)
Burgon and Ball have all sorts of enamelled tin organisers for the shed so there's no excuse for my untidiness now!

Gardening Snips
Perfect for deadheading and other garden jobs that the trusty secateurs aren't great for. In fact what I would really like is a pair of these in a beautiful trug and a large floppy sun hat, so that I can perfect my lady of the manor flower picking! I'm channeling my inner Margot Leadbetter rather than my Barbra Good! (1970's TV allusion there for any of you youngsters - look up 'The Good Life' and stop being so  darn young!)


These are my personal 5 star recommendation - my Mum gave me these Gardman Weeding Gloves in the summer, and although I've always struggled with gloves - too thick/don't fit/too heavy/not heavy enough, I have not been in the garden without these since! You'll need more protection for brambles and roses, but as a general purpose all rounder these are the gloves to have, flexible light and comfortable. 

So that's the practical and sensible gift lists done, now onto the dream list. The next section will be full of things that I dream of - this is going to be even tougher to get down to a top 5!






No comments:

Post a Comment