Tuesday 28 January 2014

Weekend work...

In between the showers and wind this weekend I actually managed to get out and about in the garden. I was spurred on by a trip to the Truro Farmers Market (this was mainly trying to shelter from the rain) where I found some lovely Iris reticulata. I have some gorgeous Iris reticulata already, but they are a different colour and are not out yet. This is what they looked like last year.


And these are the ones that I had to buy on Saturday...











They are such a gorgeous colour, are so velvety and have such a delightful rumple to their petals that I couldn't resist! I'm only cross that I didn't buy more.

For more information about these colourful, compact and early flowering Iris go to RHS plant finder.

So, flushed with my purchase I ventured out into the garden to try and decide where they should go and, as the rain had cleared up, had a rush of activity - finally planting my garlic and cutting back some bedraggled shrubs and perennials. Needless to say the new Iris didn't get planted due to the usual indecisiveness!

Then, whilst sitting in front of the fire on Saturday evening, I ordered some snowdrops to plant in the green. I got mine from Sarah Raven - 25 single Galanthus nivalis, to arrive sometime in early March. I have planted numerous Snowdrop bulbs in the past and had no luck, but in the green will be much better and I'm looking forward to my own Snowdrops next year.
These are from Jayne's garden and as you can see they are surviving the storms well and look beautifully perky.


So, a very successful Saturday. Sunday on the other hand... not so much! The weather was awful, stormy, windy and chilly, not the best weather for garden birds which was unfortunate as we had decided to take part in the Big Garden Birdwatch some time on Sunday.
 We repeatedly settled to watch for our chosen hour, only to give up 15-20 mins in having seen not one solitary bird! Our garden was a bird desert! Not even the Jackdaws who chase off the smaller birds turned up, and the lone Wood Pigeon who turns up to inspect (and eat) anything remotely edible stayed away too. I'm sure the RSPB allow for weather conditions, but it was rather depressing for us. Usually we see all manner of different Tits, Finches, Thrushes and Blackbirds, but on Sunday we managed 4 Blue Tits, 1 Sparrow, 1 Dunnock, 1 Robin and 2 Chaffinches and their visits were very fleeting. Oh well, today they are all back, rampaging around the bird feeders and consuming bird food like they have never seen it before!

Tomorrows to do list:
1. Buy bird food!
2. Go back to Farmers Market to check for more Iris
3...

No comments:

Post a Comment