Thursday 13 March 2014

09 Berberis darwinii

'Flowering in my garden' this week was a bit of a surprise. Last time I looked my Berberis darwinii had tightly clenched dots of buds and looked far from ready to bloom. What a difference a couple of sunny days makes! Suddenly there are tumbling clusters of fiery orange flowers, streaked with red and held on pink stems. Against the dark, shiny leaves and the bright, bright blue of the sky the effect was stunning.


According to the RHS the Berberis Darwinii flowers in mid-late spring, but it is usually earlier here in Cornwall, and after the mildest of winters it's not surprising it's enthusiastic to get going. 


The leaves are small, evergreen and look like mini Holly leaves but are not quite as prickly.
In autumn some of the leaves redden and add interest alongside the bluish-purple berries that festoon the bush. 


It's an upright, fast growing shrub that originates in southern Chile and Argentina and is great for filling a difficult spot in the garden. It isn't choosy about it's position as long as it gets some sun, it's fully hardy, but it does need some space to spread out. Vigorous and easy-to-grow, it often flowers again in autumn, making it great value. And if it gets too big and sprawly, cut it back in autumn or winter, after the berries appear.


I inherited my Berberis when we moved into the house. The garden was neglected and overgrown, and it was hacked back mercilessly and battered about whilst being stripped of brambles and other weeds. But 5 years later it is a 8ft bushy, healthy shrub (and I have to admit I've largely ignored it in the interim) which brightens up the corner next to the compost bins.



And on a bright sunny day it introduces a touch of tropical orange zest to my garden, a promise of the blazing summer colours to come!

NB. Notice I didn't say the blazing summer to come - I thought that might just be pushing my luck too far! Fingers crossed though.


No comments:

Post a Comment