Monday 10 March 2014

A lovely sunny weekend!

You are looking at a very happy gardener! I know you're not actually looking at me (unless the rumours from the conspiracy theorists are true) but you know what I mean. Over last week my seed orders started to roll in, flowers, veg and herbs, so the excitement started to rise...


...then my snowdrops appeared and finally my random Dahlia!


Now I fully expected the weather to get even worse in honour of their arrival, but no - we had the most glorious weekend weather and the family decided that they just wanted to chill out. 
So obviously I high-tailed it into the garden sharpish, before anyone could change their mind. 

And this is what greeted me.


That's blue sky that is! And it stayed all weekend!


And in honour of the long awaited sunshine lots of things were rushing into flower, Daffodils, Crocus, Primroses, Geraniums, Grape Hyacinths - colour everywhere. But this Berberis darwinii was so stunning against the blue that I promoted it to 09 in my 'Flowering in my garden' series (to follow soon). Was it the plant I was most impressed by, or was it the blue sky? Hard to say, but what a stunning combination.

So, the snowdrops are in, the veg bed is dug over along with the hot side of the garden and both are top dressed and fed. I have an empty compost bin to start refilling and space to plant my newly grown seedlings (not that I actually got round to sowing any seeds)! I also sorted out the green house (a small plastic shelf unit with a cover) and discovered that all my cuttings have survived and grown massively. Not sure that I actually wanted 12 Osteospermum, but better have too many than none at all, which is what I expected.

According to the weather boffins, the good weather is set to continue, and certainly today was also glorious after a dull start. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about next weekend - it seems so unlikely that we'll have another weekend like the last one - but we can hope and keep our fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment