Thursday 24 April 2014

15 + 16 the list is blossoming!

My garden is dominated at the moment by blossom, so it makes sense to make no 15 in the 'Flowering in my garden' series the Ornamental Cherry. Dripping with frilly, marshmallow pink blooms, there is nothing subtle about my Cherry tree. It is frou-frou, over the top and positively kitsch!

The buds are bundles of tissue paper thin, crumpled petals...

...set against the new bronze green leaves...

...that open up into perfect pom-poms of ultimate pink-ness! 
The only down side is that it doesn't bear fruit - a crop of cherries come autumn would make it the perfect tree!

No 16 in the series has a more delicate blossom, it's my Williams Pear Tree. This is my rescue pear tree which bears delicious fruit and excelled itself last year, despite being it's first year of fruiting.

The lovely, delicate white blossom is decorated with black tipped stamens and golden centres...

...that remain after the petals have fallen (look, you can see my baby pears forming already)...

...together with the bright, fresh green leaves. This spring I have mulched my tree, removed any suckers coming from the base, and when the fruit has set I shall remove some so as not to overstress my little tree. I fully expect another delicious harvest come autumn, I'm very proud of my pear tree - a real surviver.

Now I'm waiting for my rescue Apple Tree to flower, it's still in tight bud at the moment on the cooler, shadier side of the garden so lags behind a little. 

The Apple Tree has had the same treatment as the Pear, neither have needed pruning this year - they are both small trees that had an unpromising start, but I shall trim them lightly next winter.

The only problem with blossom is that it is short lived, in fact the pink blizzard has already started!






No comments:

Post a Comment