Tuesday 20 May 2014

Now that's what I call a tray of seedlings!

Ten days ago I planted the third batch of seeds this spring.
I was, frankly feeling a bit meh about the whole thing. I have planted Aquilegias, Catanache, Poppies, Pennisetum and a whole range of perennials and annuals and I have had a good germination rate. However the seedlings are all tiny and are growing so slowly that I am loosing the will to live.
So imagine my joy at this batch - and this is in just 10 days!


From left to right they are:
So a mixture of ornamental and vegetable seedlings which all grow in a similar way. The compost erupts to reveal a doubled over stalk as you can see from the Ricinus which is a little slower than the rest.


By the time the stem and leaves unfurl you have a whopping great seedling - no wondering if this is what is meant to be happening, or squinting to see microscopic shoots.

I love an enthusiastic seedling - they are life affirming and give you the courage to give anything a try (my Ricinus is an impulse buy - no idea where it is going to go!).

Now all I have to do is get on and pot them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment