Thursday 26 June 2014

Diversionary tactics!

Now, those on the ball readers may have worked out that I have been home from my Garden Holiday for almost a fortnight now, yet I am still banging on about it! Well let me tell you that's not going to change if I can help it.
And why am I following this track? Could it have anything to do with the mountain of weeding required in my own garden, the wilting plants, the fanatical watering that's required due to the lovely hot, dry weather - great for the beach, not so great for the garden, and the total lack of control over all things garden? Quite possibly!

So I thought I'd tell you about the only garden from our trip that I missed out - The Courts near Bradford-on-Avon. Focussing on someone else's garden is much easier than trying to get to grips with your own!
We arrived at The Courts Gardens, which is a National Trust property, at about 4pm on the first afternoon of our trip, so the sun was low and the light was warm. We had an hour and a half to wander and absorb

The first thing that greets you as you emerge from a corridor of greenery is the house...

 and then a border of Miscanthus and Rosa Glauca, underplanted with Nepeta and Alchemilla mollis. A good start!

Rosa Glauca

Some great box hedging with stone ornaments, with seed heads of Pulsatilla (Pasque flower) in front.


Matching Knautia and Clematis, and glorious Foxtail Lilies were just some of the stars in deep borders overflowing with loveliness.

Fabulous Sempervivum (House leeks).

Unbelievably...

beautiful...

Peonies.

There was a kitchen garden...

and a summer house,

and a gorgeous rill (I really, really want a rill!) leading to the water garden.

The water garden had various pools and the main one was full of beautiful Water Lilies and surrounded by Irises and Roses.

It was a lovely garden, peaceful at the end of the day and with lots to look at. 

And now I'm almost out of things to share from my time away, there are just a few new plants (well, new to me) that I thought I'd share and then I really will have to get back to my own garden - that will be a severe dose of reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment