Monday 30 June 2014

Time to get back in the garden.

After my lovely Garden Odyssey, and the ensuing backlog of stuff that had to be got through, I finally got back out in my own garden and the dream of a stunning garden open to the public occasionally, with a team of gardeners to carry out all my hopes and plans finally evaporated!

The garden has crossed that summer rubicon and collapsed in a bit of a heap. Things are still growing madly but clearing up and cutting back is now much needed. The Geraniums need the chop, some of the earlier flowering shrubs can be cut back and lovely little bits and pieces that I put in have revealed their true enormous colours.

So rather than dwell on the overall unruliness I thought I'd add to the 'Flowering in my Garden' list.

No 28 - Alliums
Alliums are also known as the Ornamental Onion (very glam!) and have large flower heads of different sizes and types, and are generally white or shades of purple and pink, although there are some yellows too.

My Alliums are Roseum (at the front) and Christopii (at the back)

The Christophii have one of the largest seed heads and are a beautifully starry, silvery purple. The globes of flowers stay for a good month and then the seed heads keep their form and create a great focal point.
I find that I have to replace or add to my Alliums as the larger ones don't last forever, but buying more of them is no chore - its one of my favourite autumn shopping sprees!
Next time I thought I might add Allium Cernuum.

.
The individual flowers are gorgeous!

Allium Roseum are smaller and more delicate with a looser, less structured flowerhead, but still as beautiful.
The seed head of the Roseum, when flowering has finished, also produces aerial bulbils (baby bulbs instead of seeds, you can see them in the top photo - they are the reddish things at the top of the stem), which means they spread and increase happily.

The only draw back with Alliums is that the leaves, which start strappy and lush, very quickly die off and look tatty. So it's better to grow them amongst other things so the leaves are hidden.

And here is one I wouldn't recommend. I planted it a few years ago because I thought it looked interesting and it spreads like the Roseum does but much less rewardingly! 

It is Allium Vineale and I'm afraid it is going at the end of this season!

No 29 - Sambucus
 Sambucus, or Elder is a deciduous bush with lovely leaves and pretty flowers. Elder is often part of the hedgerows and it's flowers and berries are loved by foragers as flavourings for cordials and cooking.

I have two types of Sambucus in my garden, this one is the Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace' (or Black Sambucus) which has gorgeous pink flowers.

However its name comes from its fantastic leaves that are dark, shiny and feathery, the perfect foil for all sorts of things. I have a deep, magenta pink Candelabra Primula flowering in front of it at the moment and it looks sumptuous!

It's still quite small at the moment, so the Honey Spurge behind provides a lush green foil for it.
The more ornamental Elders like this don't really have berries, but the leaves and flowers are enough to make up for that.

I have also just planted a Sambucus racemosa 'Sutherlands Gold' (Golden Sambucus) which is taking a little time to settle. As you can see, both the Sambucus and the Ligularia beside it have proved very popular with the slugs/snails and so are looking a little perforated and ragged!

But the colour is so intense and will look amazing when it and the purpley Cotinus (or Smoke Bush)  I have planted behind both grow up and fill their spaces. And hopefully next year it will produce some creamy flowers too! 

Now, pass me the slug pellets!



No comments:

Post a Comment