Wednesday 1 November 2017

October view in the garden...

I know I am a day late for the end of the month thing but I got distracted by Halloween, it doesn't take much to distract me to be fair!

October has seen the garden battered by storms and high winds and even, in the last couple of nights, some low-ish temperatures.
On sunny, still days it looks presentable, on dull, stormy days it looks neglected and in need of a large amount of clearing and tidying. I much prefer the sunny days in so many ways - obviously!


The Mahonia, the Fatsia and the Elaeagnus varigatum are all flowering and fragrancing the air, whilst driving bees mad.


The Arum italicum are unfurling their fresh and lace veined, glossy new leaves...


and some of the summer reliables are still hanging in there.
Campanula, starry in the shady dark spots and Geranium and Erysimum Bowles mauve in the sunnier spots.


Even the occasional (slightly mildewed now) mad Marigold blasts out from an unexpected pot!

The autumn classics are surviving the tempests...


the many coloured Osteospermum have repeat flowered since June,



and bright Schizostylis coccinea (now renamed Hesperantha coccinea), both of which will be happy until a definite or prolonged frost.


My lovely seed grown Astrantia is still flowering, which I didn't expect...


and my finally established Verbena Bonariensis is wind tossed and tangled but still beautiful.


Then as I was photographing the Verbena I noticed a plant with large leaves and buds that I didn't remember planting. On inspection it was next doors pumpkin plant scrambling over the wall and into my Philadelphus! 

6ft Pumpkins secretly invading - how spooky was that for Halloween!

🎃👻💀







No comments:

Post a Comment