Sunday 13 October 2013

In with the new!

The Daisy! duo had a lovely day on Thursday with a trip to Bodmin Herb and Plant Nursery to look for plants for my redesigned shady bed. I had a list, (I have a planting plan and design, and have researched my scheme) but somehow I have come back without a few of the things on that list and added a few extras. It's funny how often that seems to happen!

I'll share the plans for the shady bed on another occasion, I'm still clearing the area at the moment, so we're a way off. But I have a growing selection of gorgeous plants that love and can't wait to plant.

So here is where we are so far:

Heuchera, Ligularia, Rudebekia, Telimia, Echinops, Euphorbia, Pennisetum and Veronica.
This forms the main group of perennials I need, but I had less success with the more structural shrubs. I shall have to keep looking - what a shame!


We're loving Heucheras, these four are, clockwise from top left - Midnight Rose, Sugar Frosting, Licorice and Berry Smoothie. They give good colour all year round, form very pleasing mounds of foliage and produce graceful tall flower sprays. Great value (and these were 5 for £15 - bargain!)

Alys Fowler wrote an article for the Guardian extolling the virtues of the ever expanding Heuchera family, so we're not alone. One can never have too many in my opinion.

I have to admit the Echinops and the Euphorbia Glacier Blue were not on my list but I couldn't resist (oh, and the Knautia). Coming across plants that are still giving their all despite it being past their usual season is always a very persuasive reason for buying them and that was true of the Echinops and Knautia - I'm sure I can find somewhere for them.

 

And then on Friday I was just passing my local garden centre and I spotted some Sedums being sold off. It would have been rude not to buy them so, to be polite, I did!


These are: left - Spectabile Brilliant and right - Autumn Joy, I can't wait to get them in!











No comments:

Post a Comment