Thursday 20 November 2014

Regrets - I've got a few!

Last week we ventured to the Trevena Cross Nursery on a research trip for one of our current gardening projects. We were searching out hardy but tropical looking plants but got somewhat diverted (surprise surprise!). As with every visit to a good nursery we saw lots of lovely plants, including the ones we were looking for, but there were a couple that I hadn't seen before that I loved.

Persicaria virginiana with gorgeous leaf markings and graceful, long sprays of tiny red flowers that created a delicate lacework effect above the leaves. Flowering now, it was beautiful and this picture does not do it justice.


A variegated Acanthus - such glorious, glossy leaves, stunning colour and gorgeous, rumpled texture.


And the regrets I referred to in my title? I didn't buy either of them - what was I thinking? I was distracted by the bargain bin (we all love a bargain) and I came away with a lovely Geum to add to the one I am so pleased with, a Ceratostigma and a handful of stocking fillers from the gift shop.

Not a bad haul and both plants are very nice but I can't help but remember the two plants that really took my fancy and wish that I hadn't been quite so restrained - and it's not often I can say that!!




No comments:

Post a Comment