Wednesday 12 October 2016

Slash and Shred!

I have found a new hobby. It's a garden based hobby that all the family (even teens) enjoy and want to join in with, it's outdoorsy, requires no screens and it's even useful. 

'What is this amazing discovery' I hear you cry disbelievingly.

Well this is it!


It's a garden shredder!

I borrowed it from the other half of the Daisy Duo, she'd kept it under wraps probably because she knew it would be a struggle to wrestle it back off me, but took pity on me when she saw the sheer amount of pruning and 'getting under control' my garden needs.

I've had a couple of years of tinkering around the edges, and letting things get established, which now means every shrub I own needs serious attention. 

To help me get started we've been working on it together and the mounds of clippings have been gargantuan!

BUT NOT ANY MORE!!!!

The whole family has found the shredding very therapeutic and satisfying...


  

and I have bags and bags of mulch ready for composting or spreading.


There is something so satisfying about feeding great six foot boughs in at the top as it chugs away, then out it comes as one inch bits at the bottom.

There are so many things (and people) in life that one would like to do that to!

 On the down side some of my lovely autumn colour has been rendered down too...


and I won't be using that mulch around the garden - there are far to many berries longing to grow in their multitudes!


Anyway I'm rediscovering plants that have been buried, seeing parts of my garden I haven't seen in a while and my teenagers are positively zen (well briefly anyway)!

Bonus!

Now all I have to do is negotiate regular visitation rights for at least the next 6 months.

This shredder is a Bosch AXT 1600HP and in my experience will shred branches of about 3cm diameter happily. It may manage larger but as it isn't mine I don't want to push my luck!
They are widely available and about £180 and, so far, I would definitely recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment