Friday 14 October 2016

A gentler interlude!

After the violent and feverish activity of the last post I thought I should calm down a bit and do something that it has been perfect weather for this week.

Here in Cornwall the last week or so has been dry while the temperature slowly drops so seeds have been maturing beautifully. Whilst this fills me with the urge to slash things down and shred them on the one hand (Alchemila Mollis, Libertia, Mexican Daisy) before they completely take over, on the other there are some lovely plants that I want to make sure I have more of. 

My first call was to the Honesty that I bought from Powderham this year. See a post about that outing here. Lunaria annua Chedglow - it has gorgeous dark, bronzy leaves and deep purply flowers and I definitely want more of it. There's a picture of it here.

I think I've also promised seed to Jayne and possibly my Mum, which is fine as the seed is quite plentiful. I managed to drop quite a bit whilst collecting, so one way or another it should reappear next year. It was very satisfying peeling the browning outer layers away to expose the seeds, and once collection was complete the lovely 'moon pennies' were left. I love that name, it's so apt and reminds me of fairy tales of childhood.


Seeds full of promise - I hope!


I also collected some seed from Lychnis both white and pink, and I'm waiting for my starry Michaelmas Daisy to set seed - it's still flowering at the moment.

I'll store the seed in a LABELLED envelope (I've learnt that from experience - I have many mystery seeds) in a cool dry tin and wait for the spring.

So hopefully there'll be plants for free next year, unless of course nothing comes up (which has been known). Then it'll just be more plant shopping instead.

Win win really!


No comments:

Post a Comment