Monday 13 February 2017

Right - time to get sorted!

So, this weekend one thing has been proved - I have officially been rubbish so far this year! Before the chorus of polite 'no, no, you're too hard on yourself, the weather's been dreadful etc' starts there is material evidence of my rubbishness.

These are my spring pots, planted months ago with Angelique and purple Parrot Tulips and Anemone Blanda, and Tete a Tete Daffodils and tended out of sight round the side of the house ready to be displayed when they started to shoot. 


Now you don't have to have a trained eye to notice that these pots are doing rather more than shooting - they are almost in flower. Another week or two and I would have missed them altogether! This situation is due in part to my shocking memory and to the fact that I haven't really stuck my nose out into the garden at all this year.

That needs to change! Things are happening in the garden in spite of me rather than because of me and I can take no credit whatsoever. I'd like to blame the weather - snow, ice, hard frosts etc, but living in Cornwall we can't really claim that. We've had cold, wet and miserable but we have also had bright, crisp and sunny. I just haven't wanted to garden.

But now I'm behind (AGAIN!). Our growing season in mild Cornwall is well and truly underway and I haven't started clearing and planning - let alone sowing and planting! Broad beans could be sown inside around now - if I'd only got round to buying some!

So, change is afoot! First a survey of what needs doing - on second thoughts, let's gloss over that - let's look at what's looking lovely instead.

Firstly there's my Clematis Armandii...


covered in buds and gorgeous in the sun, the fragrance isn't powerful yet but when those buds open and the sun shines...

Then there are my favourite Hellebores...


dark and single, tall and veined, perfectly formed dark doubles and singles.


Then pale, graceful and speckly, although I didn't plant the one on the left - it just appeared! Pale pink on the outside and creamy yellow on the inside I think this is one that has hybridised itself - which is a lovely surprise.

The yellow Hellebore that I bought 2 years ago from Bosvigo Gardens, and which I haven't seen since, has revived and is flowering happily. 


Hopefully I will manage to keep it from being buried without trace by over enthusiastic undergrowth again. The tall white that I bought at the same time has been less lucky - I think it's rescue came too late, there is no sign of flowers or leaves there.

The Crocus's are coming...


and the Iris Reticulata are doing well...


 although you may notice from the above photograph, they are flowering gorgeously in the middle of a large Osteospermum!

If you stick your head into the middle of the bush you can see them beautifully...


although it plays havoc with your hair!

There is only one solitary Iris that is easily appreciated!


Why on earth would I plant them there? My glorious memory strikes again!

Then there are the old stalwarts that carry on every year...


cheery Primroses, new shoots of Euphorbia, winter flowering Jasmin and Arum italicum
(clockwise from top left)

All in all not a bad showing for a garden ignored and neglected.

I'd like to think that when I start to intervene the results will be startlingly improved, but actually all I want to achieve is to frame the loveliness that is already there. Plants and flowers are amazing, stunning and individual, merely requiring a little space and a modicum of care (yes I know, not so much in my case) and they will thrive and repay us in full.

So, onward and upwards, list making time I think - what do you mean a diversionary tactic to avoid doing any real work - I'm sure I don't know what you mean!

2 comments:

  1. Today was the first day I've felt like doing any gardening since autumn. Must have been ten degrees warmer than yesterday. Your hellebores are looking glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless my Hellebores, they spur me into action every year. Without them my winter hibernation would go on for months I think. Good luck with your gardening, I look forward to seeing your progress.

      Delete