Sunday 8 September 2013

Free food - bumper crop!



Yesterday, in between the showers, I decided it was time for Blackberry picking. I've been keeping an eye on the hedgerows and have seen brambles weighed down with fruits and everyone says it's been a bumper year, so I thought it was time to test the theory.

After an abortive attempt to go somewhere picturesque to do our picking (too crowded, no parking!) me and my teenage helper ended up on the lane behind the house armed with tupperware and on a mission.

And I can report that in 45 mins we managed to gather 1.4 kilos of fruit, juicy, ripe and just falling off the bushes! We would have been quicker but the teen response to spiders was a bit of a handicap, ending in the classic teenage utterance "OMG if spiders could fly I would literally kill myself!"

She was also obsessed with the height of dogs (don't pick low blackberries, dogs will have weed on them) and boy the dogs around here must be massive as she couldn't be persuaded to pick anything below shoulder height!

Anyway I digress, enormous spiders, razor sharp thorns, vicious stinging nettles and dog wee aside, I was very proud of our haul and now it's time to use them - I'm thinking jam, ice cream, clafoutis... the options are endless and I'll share the successes (and keep quiet about the failures) over the coming days!

Right, time for a cup of tea I think, as the teenage helper said "blackberry picking is hardcore!"


No comments:

Post a Comment