Tuesday 10 March 2015

Aarghh - It's started already!

Whilst clearing and pruning on Sunday in the damp, and appreciating my late winter colour I made an horrific discovery. I was prepared for the sprouting of weeds - all the things that you want to grow are starting so inevitably the ones that you don't are too. So I was getting ready to brush off the hoe for enthusiastic use once the clearing has been done, perhaps in a few weeks time.

 But then I found this!!!!!


I can feel your sense of anti climax but believe me this is my garden nemesis - Bittercress - and it's already flowering in the first week of March!

This is a clearer picture of a seedling just before it flowers - this is the moment to tweak it out. It has a jolly rosette of tiny leaves and delicate white flowers but don't be fooled - it is intent on world domination! It is the cockroach of the garden and survives anything.
Please join the Anti Bittercress League and hoick it out.


The RHS says 'Hairy bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta) is an annual species, common throughout the British Isles, particularly on bare ground, path-sides, and on walls.' 
From which you can be assured that it grows EVERYWHERE!

It also grows super fast and has explosive seed capsules that fire seeds over huge areas! I am on a one-woman (completely futile) mission to eradicate it from my garden and the only respite I get from my obsession is during the dark months of winter - evidently the respite is over. Once you spot one flower (they are tiny and inconsequential on purpose)  you can bet that there is one seeding somewhere close.

The most common entry point for this weed (other than next doors Bittercress hurling it's seeds at you) is pots from garden centres and nurseries. So when you are shopping for lovely additions to your garden keep a very close eye on any tiny seedlings in the pot, remove them and leave them at the garden centre!

Right! *heaves huge sigh* I better get out and start ripping it out sharpish otherwise I will be inundated within the week!


2 comments:

  1. Dreadful stuff..can't believe it's flowering already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - nasty, underhand behaviour typical of Bittercress, and I'm taking it personally!

      Delete