Wednesday 28 January 2015

Just when I'd lost hope!

I was out clearing this weekend, a pastime that is long overdue and one that I always avoid but always find very rewarding when I finally get down to it. This weekend was no exception. I was tackling the rockery bed which needs some serious work this year. It's a rockery we inherited that was full of self sown tree saplings of various types that had to be removed and in the process the structure was somewhat compromised. So it's always looked a bit unintentional, but this year that is going to change!


So far I've decided what has to go. 


The Juniper Sky Rocket that I planted on the left is sick, it's been sick for ever, it just never thrived (or should that be throve?) It looks sad and brown almost all over now. There are a couple of ferns at the back, invisible at the moment but of the commonest type and self seeded in the stupidest places. 


There is a humongous Libertia on the right (that I have slashed to a stubbly mound) which is far too large, and although it is covered with white flowers all summer which we'll miss, the sharp eyed amongst you will notice there's another identical but smaller (at the moment) one just over to the right!

Which leaves me with some space to fill which is exactly what you want at this time of year. Let the planning begin and the shopping be planned - I have a bed to fill!

Any suggestions of structural, evergreen (or with all year interest), smaller shrubs would be much appreciated, as would ideas for a small tree or something to replace the Juniper - I need some sort of feature at that end of the bed and I'm struggling so far.

Oh, and the thing I'd lost hope of?

Last March I planted 25 snowdrops in the green around the place and have seen the sum total of none of them so far. But as I was clearing I came across these little spears of joy!


So I might have 6 or 7 snowdrops by spring unless they turn out to be something else I've planted and forgotten about, which is always possible or even probable, but they don't look like the crocus shoots that I have and are bluer than the Muscari that are everywhere so fingers crossed - better late than never.

They also gave me the opportunity to christen my Christmas present, perfect for winkling pesky mile a minute from around shoots!



No comments:

Post a Comment